The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder provides a fortnightly recycling collection service to residential properties through the contractor Cleanaway.
Download our handy Recycling Education Brochure to find out more about recycling in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Businesses that require recycling collection should contact a commercial operator, who will charge for the service.
When is my recycling bin day?
Use our handy link to look up your property and see what day your bin and recycle bin will be collected.Bin repairs, requests and replacements
Collection times may vary, so place your garbage and recycling bins the kerb by 6 am on the day of collection. They must be 80 cm apart, with handles facing the property and the lid opening towards the road. Avoid placement near trees or parked cars.
If your bin has been missed in the collection round, please contact Cleanaway on 9091 5686.
Broken 'green rubbish bins' and 'blue recycling bins' can be reported directly to Cleanaway on 9091 5686.What can I put in my recycle bin?
If you would like to request a bin for a new property, change your current service, or replace a stolen / absent bin, please download and submit a Bin Service Request Form. Please note, this document must be signed for requests to be processed.
There is a fee for replacing whole bins, for the current cost please refer to our schedule of fees and charges.
Download our What Can I Recycle information sheet for the types of items you can place in your kerbside recycle bin.
- Place items loosely in your recycling bin.
- Do not tie recyclables up in plastic bags, or place plastic bags in your recycle bin.
- Remove lids from bottles, jars and containers before putting in your bin. The lids can also be put in your recycle bin.
What can’t I place in my recycle bin:
- Metal objects other than steel and aluminium cans
- Plastic bags, including shopping bags
- Batteries, oil, acids or chemicals
- Rubber or leather items
- Garden waste, timber or building materials
- Food scraps and wrappings
- Liquid of any kinds
- Crockery, pottery, porcelain or plate glass
Bin Tagging Education Program
Batteries cannot be placed in your kerbside recycling bin as they are a fire-hazard.
There are a number of options to recycle your batteries:
- Yarri Road Refuse Facility - Recycle Lead Acid Batteries. Please place these in the designated area in an upright position to prevent spills.
- C.D. Dodd Scrap Metal Recyclers - Recycle batteries including single use, rechargeable and disposable, as well as various other items. Located at 1 Coath Road, Kalgoorlie.
- Telstra - Recycle household batteries in store.
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is rolling out a recycling education program to help reduce the amount of non-recyclable items being placed in recycle bins, thanks to a Waste Authority Community Education grant.
Bin Tagging & Inspections City officers have been systematically visiting households in Kalgoorlie-Boulder since April 2017 to inspect recycle bins and provide focused feedback to each resident on how they are recycling. If you're bin is inspected, you will receive a tag providing feedback.
First & Second Inspection On the first inspection, you will receive a 'thank you' or 'we ask one small favour' tag on your bin to let you know if you are recycling right.
If you received the 'we ask one small favour' tag, your bin will be inspected a fortnight later to check you've improved. Please refer to your recycle pamphlet for tips on recycling.
Third Inspection If non-recyclable items are noted in your bin on a third occasion, your bin will not be emptied and you will need to remove the items before your bin is collected the following fortnight.
You can keep up to date with the bin tagging program by following the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder on Facebook.