Planning Applications

Planning Applications

Find out what properties require planning approval from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, and how the process works.

Statutory planning approvals

Land use planning in Western Australia is guided by the Planning and Development Act 2005 and the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has adopted the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Town Planning Scheme No. 1, 1997 (as amended) as well as several planning policies to guide planning and development in Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

For more information, please visit the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website.

Development Assistance Unit (DAU)

We have a new way of doing business and we're here to help you with your development, from the concept right through to occupancy.

The City's Development Assistance Unit (DAU) is available for anyone wishing to develop in Kalgoorlie-Boulder. As a developer, you are invited to sit around the table with our technical officers to talk about your project; tell us what you want to do and we'll let you know what you need to provide to the City. We can also arrange to meet you on site after the meeting to get a better understanding of your project.

The DAU meets every Tuesday morning, for more information about the DAU and how to book a time to meet with us, please see the DAU Fact Sheet.

Developments requiring planning approval

Many types of development and use in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder require planning approval. These include:

  • Most non-residential developments, although some may be exempt

  • Non-residential extensions or external works

  • Some front boundary fences

  • Signage will often require approval, particularly if the property has heritage significance or is in one of the heritage precincts

  • Demolition, alteration, extension, re-roof of heritage buildings. This includes painting and signage and sometimes internal and external works

  • A Change of Use or an extension to a Non-Conforming Use

  • Home occupations or home businesses

  • Development of grouped or multiple housing (more than one house on a site)

  • Extensions to, or additions (such as patios, carports, outbuildings) to a grouped or mulitple housing development

  • Family Day Care is only exempt in certain circumstances

Clause 6.2 of the town planning scheme explains the types of development that are exempt from approval, however, it is always best to check with the Duty Planning Officer before starting any works or change of use.

Generally speaking, planning approval is not required for:

  • Single houses that comply with the Residential Design Codes

  • Side or rear boundary fences under 1.8 m in height

  • Use of land or buildings which are permitted in that zone (with no external works and that comply with the relevant Development Standards)

  • Home offices (such as mobile and mail-order businesses)

  • Rebadging of signage outside of the heritage precincts or on non-heritage buildings

To view planning policies, please go to the Town Planning Scheme section.

The Planning Services Duty Planner would be happy to discuss your proposal with you at any time.

Applications for planning approval

To apply for planning approval from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, you will need to submit an application, along with plans and other details as required, and pay the prescribed fee.

A number of forms, checklists and information sheets are available which will assist with the preparation of your application. Information is constantly being added to this website and you are encouraged to come back frequently for updates.

It is strongly recommended that you contact Planning Services prior to lodging your application to make sure that you've gathered all of the information you need for your application.

Application fees and charges can be found in the City's Schedule of Fees and Charges.