17-09 Cashless Debit Card Trial

Kalgoorlie-Boulder On Board for Cashless Debit Card Trial

17-09 Cashless Debit Card Trial The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder will be at the centre of the newest regional trial of Cashless Debit Card trial, following an announcement by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Minister for Human Services Alan Tudge inn Kalgoorlie this morning.
The trial, which will include Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the surrounding local government areas of the Shires of Coolgardie, Laverton and Leonora and the Towns of Menzies and Kookynie, will see all people of working age who receive welfare or a pension in the region transitioned onto the Cashless Debit Card.
The Tjuntjuntjara community will not be included in the trial of the program until the community has had sufficient time to consider all ramifications of its introduction, and resolve administration queries relating to the card.
Cashless Debit Cardholders will have 80% of their welfare payments paid on to the card and the remaining 20% will be paid into a bank account of the recipient’s choice to be accessed at their discretion.
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder CEO John Walker said the City was proud to lead the way in pushing for the Cashless Debit Card to be introduced across the Goldfields region, rather than in a single community.
“The City, with the support of the Goldfields Voluntary Regional Organisation of Councils, has been proactive in securing the Cashless Debit Card for our community,” he said.
“We have met with Minister for Human Services Alan Tudge on several occasions, as well as with officers from the Department for Human Services as they have been carrying out engagement and preparatory work not just here in Kalgoorlie-Boulder but also in our surrounding local government areas, and we are confident that we will see positive flow on from the introduction of the card in the near future.
“The only restrictions are gambling, alcohol and no cash withdrawals, and the card also works for online shopping, but not for restricted items.  Card holders can also transfer up to $200 per month from the Cashless Debit Card account to any other account of their choice, in any increment, so there is a lot of flexibility for card holders.
“We are very pleased that Minister Tudge has been joined by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull here in Kalgoorlie-Boulder to make this announcement today.  This is something that is going to have long lasting, positive outcomes not just for our City, but for the entire Goldfields region.”